2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29


After months of researching the best 29er bikes under $3000, I found a great deal on CL for a 2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29. In 2011, the Epic Comp 29 was $3000 brand new. This bike was upgraded with Easton Haven wheels (setup tubeless), Continental X King 29 rear tire, XT front and rear derailleurs, FSA 2X10 crank, and FSA bottom bracket. It also has the Specialized BRAIN technology incorporated into both the Fox rear shock and the Rockshox Reba fork. For about half of my initial $3000 budget, I couldn't pass it up!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Just from looking at it, I thought the Epic looked big.  The frame size is Large, but I guess the 29" wheels really made it seem tall.  Once I got it home, I compared it to my Cannondale Jekyll 900 SL (Medium frame) and found that it really wasn't that much bigger.  It is, however, noticeably lighter.

Since I just purchased the Epic, I've only had it out once. That one time was enough for me to know that I love this bike. I took it to Wakefield Park in Annandale, Virginia and rode for about 1.5 hours. Here's what I thought:

As a frame of reference, this is my first Specialized, first 29er, first tubeless setup, and first 2X10 drive train.  Considering all of this, I was instantly comfortable on the bike. It didn't feel too large, I didn't find that it accelerated slowly, and it climbed like a Kawasaki dirt bike.

Those 29" wheels soaked up most of the trail, and the rest was eaten up by the suspension - the BRAIN inertia valve technology worked flawlessly. I found it easy to clear tough terrain, logs, roots, and rock gardens without having to think about picking a decent line.

The Epic is much lighter than my Jekyll, and I found that I was able to jump it, hop over logs, and throw it around fairly tight singletrack, corners, and berms with confidence. The only foreseeable upgrade is the Avid Elixer R-SL brakes.  They are loud and the rear felt a little mushy. Other than that, I don't feel the need to change a thing. The Epic is a beast, and it is by far the best bike I've owned.



The endurance test comes tomorrow morning. I'm taking it to Fountainhead Regional Park in Fairfax, Virginia for a cool morning ride. Fountainhead offers about 9 miles of tough terrain, long climbs, drops, skinnies, and fast descents.  I can't wait!

- Never odd or even

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Mountain Bike under $3000 (For Me)

The Cheapskate Runner